Friday, June 13, 2008

Hate your day job? What's keeping you from leaving?

The other day I took a stroll along Yonge street and decided to get my yes..SECOND dose of Starbucks goodness for the day. On the way there...I overheard two people conversing..or shall I say bitching about work. One complained about constantly getting administrative tasks handed to her and said that she was bored to death! The other complained about how power hungry his manager was.

It occurred to me that the only thing that was probably keeping these two people at their jobs was the company of one another.

The people you work with, and organizational culture can make or break your job. There are those I know that do not necessarily LOVE what they do..but they are in love with the people they work with. Others absolutely love what they are responsible for at their workplace but cannot stand those they work with. Most of the time, those stuck in the latter situation do not tend to stick around for long...and I absolutely agree that they shouldn't. I do not however agree that the first situation is a good idea either. In fact, personally....amazing corporate culture, and team dynamics is not enough to keep me with a company. It is definitely not enough to keep me engaged. If you feel like you're not being challenged enough at work, are not given the opportunity to demonstrate what you're capable of, or are shut down when you try to step up and do so...my advice to you would be to leave and find an employer who will. No settling for an "ok" situation in life. Keep moving until you find yourself where you believe you have earned and deserve to be.

No comments: